A Word to Readers

Dear Readers,
I am going away for some time and I will come back sometime in the middle of JANUARY. When I do, I will notify you.

I posted again on The Light.

Hi, I will post every Saturday from now on, but there might be a few exceptions. If so, I will notify you. The new post I have posted today will be continued every week on the same post. Notice that I have put the date on the top left hand corner. I will do so every week so that you know where you have left off.

At the same time, I would like to thank all of you faithful readers for encouraging me. Your encouragement has motivated me to publish a book. In fact, Dawn is going to be my first book. The prologue I posted on this blog is a rough draft of the book's prologue. I'll keep you posted on my progress, but I cannot reveal the details --Book Progress: Chapter 14

Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Glade Spun from Gold




 Poem

Leaves drift lazily through the warm air.

The sun glints on the floating shapes briefly,

Painting them in gold.

Petals dapple the floor of the clearing,

A carpet of flowing white.

Rays of golden sunlight sieve through the thick foliage above.

Flowers stretch their heads toward the sky,

Their petals each a drop of sun.

A circle of trees surround the glade,

Silent guardians.

Rustles in the leaves

Signal the approach of a thrush.

The lilting song of the sparrow and the rosy clouds gathering

Tell of the sun’s setting.

Ribbons of light touch the branches orange in the dying glow.

Colors blur into a haze of

Liquid red-orange,

As if the glade had been spun from a spool of sunlight.


Descriptive Paragraph
            Lush leaves swayed above and the thin branches of the willow dragged at the ground, ribbons of velvet, a curtain of foliage. Rising into the air, the rich, loamy aroma of the damp earth dispersed in the soft wind. The tall, wild stalks of grass dipped in the cool rush of air, the green leaves rustling gently and the bright flowers bobbing in the wind, brilliant splotches of color among the green foliage. The dense trees parted to reveal a rushing stream meandering through the woods; the crystal-clear water leaped into the air, each droplet a miniature sparkling, golden sun. Tinged orange, the sky above was a picturesque painting, the puffy, white clouds wisps of cotton candy. Streaks of red shot through the sky, smears of blood, and it looked as if the sky itself were bleeding. The sun, a golden disc of flame high in the sky, had begun to set. Bit by bit, the sun was being swallowed by the earth, engulfed completely. Rays of dying sun-light lit the verdant clearing one final time, bathing it in its incandescent glow, until the whole glade looked as if it were spun from a spool of golden thread. A single rustle shattered the silence, and a leaf drifted down lazily, zigzagging through the still air. As the ribbon of sunlight hit it, the leaf shone as bright as a jewel, coated in gold. But then, light slowly began to seep from the forest, as darkness eagerly slipped in to replace it. Lurking in the gloom, shadows elongated, looming in the swiftly dimming light, sinister. And night rose from its long slumber, still lethargic, but would soon bring upon darkness to the world. A shadow began to creep languidly over the leaf, and for a single moment, light and dark fought for dominance, but the battle did not last, for darkness prevailed. Shadows licked hungrily at it, devouring the leaf completely. The sun lingered and seemed to hover above the horizon for a heartbeat, and then was swallowed. Night had fallen.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful--so descriptive...this was a joy to read. Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenn! I love nature, since its so beautiful, so I like to write about it. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written! Mommy felt like as if I was there in the forest watching the sun and the willow tree and its leaves until the night beckoning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. intteresting what you did here, setting a poem of a similar subject against a descriptiive paragraph. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Tyler! I really appreciate your comment. :)

      Delete