A Word to Readers

Dear Readers,
I am going away for some time and I will come back sometime in the middle of JANUARY. When I do, I will notify you.

I posted again on The Light.

Hi, I will post every Saturday from now on, but there might be a few exceptions. If so, I will notify you. The new post I have posted today will be continued every week on the same post. Notice that I have put the date on the top left hand corner. I will do so every week so that you know where you have left off.

At the same time, I would like to thank all of you faithful readers for encouraging me. Your encouragement has motivated me to publish a book. In fact, Dawn is going to be my first book. The prologue I posted on this blog is a rough draft of the book's prologue. I'll keep you posted on my progress, but I cannot reveal the details --Book Progress: Chapter 14

Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Tale of the Yeast Bridge

For my cousins, Kimberly, my loyal reader,  and Alastair, who just recently sent me delicious cookies.

      One cool, windy winter day, Pebble walked up to the grassy hill to graze. Pebble was a giraffe the color of the setting sun. Her fur was as smooth as the rocks in the mountains that were eroded for countless seasons. Her spots were as white as the puffy clouds floating above her in the blue sky. As she reached for a leaf in a tree nearby, she noticed a gap in the hill. Oh no! she thought. She trotted over to the hole and looked down. Piles of earth had collected on the bottom and rocks the size of boulders sat atop the piles. This part of the hill must have collapsed, she decided, I must help fix it, or sooner or later there will be an accident. So Pebble went on to gather the ingredients needed to fill in the gap.
     After an hour or two, Pebble had collected cool, glistening mud from the pond, moss from the branches of trees, and soil from the bottom of the hill. She carefully mixed them in a large, dull yellow pot  the Potter had provided for her. The Potter was a neighbor of hers and was very kind to let her use one of his lovely pots that he made for a living. She stirred for a long time and soon, she had created a sticky, mushy mixture of the color green. She added some flour and water, stirring more. The mixture was becoming thick and sticky. Afterward she poured in a cup of yeast. Mixing more, she waited for a little longer. Then she was finished.
     Pebble gingerly carried part of the mixture to the top of the hill where it had collapsed. She then poured in the portion of the mixture she had carried up the hill. With a plop, it landed on the bottom, covering the dirt. It oozed a bit and then stopped. After many trips, the hole was filled up to the middle. Pebble needed more. She collected lichens and mud and more grass and soil. She put them all in the pot and added more yeast. Pebble blended the concoction. Finally, it was done.
     Pebble hauled the mixture to the gap and dumped it in. It fit perfectly, right up to the top. She then waited. The blazing sun high above began to tire and slowly set, the world one shade darker as it dropped one bit. Soon the moon appeared and the nocturnal creature that was the night awoke. Pebble tentatively stepped on the hardened mixture. It held her weight! She smiled, content of her work, and returned home, her eyes drooping with exhaustion.
      The following day, a huge crowd gathered on the hill to stare in wonder at the mixture that clogged up the hole in the hill. They called it the Yeast Bridge. Pebble became famous, and soon the Yeast Bridge became one of the wonders of the world and one of the most popular vacation sites there were.

6 comments:

  1. Nowadays, it is hard to find such a character like Peeble. It's so refreshing to read the story filled with the beauty.

    Good nice short story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute name, Yeast bridge. Nice job, Pebble. It is not every day that one could build a bridge that became one of the wonders of the world. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the story cie cie Caitlyn. I really like it. You are so good at making the stories.
    Please write more.

    Love,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! I like it.

    -Alastair-

    ReplyDelete